President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointments of new Service Chiefs and also a new National Security Adviser.
The new appointments are as follows:
- Major-General Abayomi Gabriel Olonishakin – Chief of Defence Staff;
- Major-General T.Y. Buratai – Chief of Army Staff
- Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas – Chief of Naval Staff
- Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar – Chief of Air Staff
- Air Vice Marshal Monday Riku Morgan – Chief of Defence Intelligence
- Major-General Babagana Monguno (rtd.) – National Security Adviser
The new Chief of Army Staff, Maj. Gen. Buratai who is a member of the 29 Regular Course hails from Borno State.
Until his new aappointment, he was the Commander of the Multinational Joint Task Force which has its headquarters in Ndjamena.
Maj-Gen. Buratai has previously served as Commander of the Nigerian Army’s 2nd Brigade in Port Harcourt and Commander of the Nigerian Army School of Infantry in Jaji, Kaduna State.